For this exercise you will be using internal visualisation. This will help you change your physiology and internal state into a more confident state.
As with my other exercises, Reliving Confidence is a simplified version of what I do with clients. However, it is still very effective so be patient and persevere for rewarding results.
I recommend reading through the steps a few times before you attempt doing the exercise for the first time.
- Stand up and take three deep breaths, inhaling deeply and exhaling slowly until you feel relaxed and grounded. Close your eyes. Find your centre.
- Let yourself go back in your memory to a specific time when you were totally confident. Abundantly confident.
- Go back to that time now and fully experience it.
As you remember it.
Seeing what you saw and hearing what you heard.
– What was the very first thing that caused you to be totally confident?
– Was it something you saw? (or the way someone looked at you?)
– Was it something you heard? (or someone’s tone of voice?)
– Was it the touch of someone or something?
- After you saw, heard or were touched, what was the very next thing that caused you to be totally confident?
– Did you picture something in your mind?
– Say something to yourself?
– Have a certain feeling or emotion?
– Or did something else happen?
- What was the next thing that happened as you were totally confident?
- After you saw, heard or felt that, did you know that you were totally confident?
Did you picture something, say something, or have a feeling?
- Feel the confidence building inside you.
- Now think of a specific time in your future when you want to have that same feeling of confidence.
- See and hear what will be there just before you want to feel confident. For example, you may be about to go for a job interview, chair a meeting, deliver a presentation in front of an audience, or make an important business phone call. You may want to feel confident about entering a room where there are lots of people you do not know, such as at a party.
- Imagine the situation unfolding around you in the future with these confident feelings fully available to you.
- Take three deep breaths, inhaling deeply and exhaling slowly.
- Open your eyes, yawn and stretch.
- Think again of that upcoming event. You will find you will automatically recall those confident feelings. This means you have already pre-programmed yourself for that upcoming event. You are feeling better about it and it hasn’t even happened yet. When it arrives, you will find yourself naturally responding more confidently.